When we’re short of time – which we always are – and need to do things as efficiently as possible – which we always do – then the concept of a minimum effective dose, or MED, comes into play.
Let me explain with some examples.
- You want to meditate for 20 minutes a day? Start at 5 minutes, or 3 days a week. It will still have some effect.
- You’re desperate to achieve and maintain “inbox zero”? Keep it under 20 emails and you’ll feel a whole lot better.
- Your ideal is to not work Fridays, ever. Finish at midday next Friday, and every week until you’re fully ready. The impact will be noticeable.
- Aiming for five new clients a month, every month? Settle at one or two for now. Your bank will see the difference immediately.
- You’d like to join the much-vaunted 5am Club. Get up at 6 every day next week. You’ll get loads more done!
Action Point: Think about something you want to achieve, and plot a viable intermediate stage which will get you ready for the bigger ultimate change.
It’s like “baby steps” for grown ups.
Let’s Get On With It!